Monday, November 23, 2009

DAY 6-Sabbath Day
We attended church early in the morning.While at church, I experienced the best part of being in a foreign land--the experience was truly eye opening. Everything was in French (of course), so I couldn't understand without a translator. In sacrament meeting, three talks were given. All of which were centered on the power of prayer. Each talk touched me! I felt the spirit so strong. One talk really touched my spirit.
The Sister giving the talk shared a story about the simplicity of prayer, and the power of God's answers. She told of an experience where her little boy's bike had been stolen, and how her little boy had no doubt that if he prayed, God would help him. The mother giving the talk explained how she tried to prepare her son for an understanding of how God answers prayers. That night she had a dream in which she was chasing a boy with her son's bike. The following day--her dream was realized. A few weeks later this same little boy received a new bike as a gift from his father. Not too long after receiving this new bike--it was stolen. Again, this little boy had the faith in God to have his prayers answered. Again, this mother tried to explain how prayers are not always answered in the way we would like them to be answered. Again, she was a tool to her Heavenly Father in answering her son's prayer and retrieving the second lost bike. Heavenly Father had blessed this little boy by answering his prayers. This little boy had the faith in God to be answered. It caused me to evaluate how meaningful my prayers are...do I pray with all sincerity of heart? Do I pray with complete trust and faith?
My eyes and heart were opened as I listened to talks given in French, but understanding in English via translation. The simple truths of the Gospel were preached from a foreign land. My spirit was touched as I listened to these Gospel truths in another tongue, and although I have always known that the Gospel is a part of a world wide church, seeing it with my eyes, and feeling it with my heart touched the inner core of my soul. I felt the spirit testify of these truths. My eyes were opened to my brothers and sisters in foreign lands, and although I couldn't understand them without help, I loved them!
WALKING THE GARDENS OF VERSAILLES
We walked the gardens of the Palace of Versailles Sunday afternoon after church. It was absolutely amazing! It provided for a nice Sunday afternoon walk. (We toured the palace on the day we toured Paris...we just saved the gardens for a Sunday walk.)

SUNDAY DRIVE=ARC De TRIUMPH

The Arc DE Triumph is a monument in France to honor those who fought in the Napoleonic Wars (info. found on Wikipedia).
Mike and I convinced Jill to jump out of the car on the Champs De Elysee's (famous shopping street in Paris), run into the middle of the street, and take a picture (in my defense, I thought there was some sort of middle lane). Jill was not excited....let's just say it got a bit scary when both lights were green, and we were in the middle of the road...traffic coming both ways!!!
(The French do not seem to have much caution while driving either.)

1 comment:

Malisa said...

You are one brave woman. The traffic around the arch is CRAZY!! I'm glad you had fun in Paris. We never got to see anything at night because we always went on day trips but I'm glad I got to see your pictures.