Thursday, November 12, 2009

DAY 3
Dearest Family,
My day was filled with so many adventures! We visited the Palace of Versaille, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, the Notre Dame Church, and the Seine River Cruise....I am exhausted! Each and every place was amazing! I was in awe over the cathedrals, and the architecture, and the whole experience left me a bit stunned. Out of the all the areas we visited though, the Church of Notre Dame and the Eiffel tower impacted me the most. Both places were stunning, which added a dimension of awe. Both places provided a "true" Paris experience simply from their heritage. However, the reason for their impact wasn't because of their architecture...In both places Jill and I experienced scary moments. Let me tell you about our experience in the Church of Notre Dame...
In the Notre Dame Church, a man was angry with another man, and started fighting with him. They brawled on the cement floor, and it truly was horrific. I wanted to help the man who was being beaten, but I wasn't sure what to do. Jill pulled me away from the situation...I think she was scared for my safety. My heart ached. After the fighting had ceased, I felt a bit defiled. Both Jill and I were a bit shaken. The mere idea of two grown men fighting in a place of sanctuary was disturbing. With this experience being what it was..., it seems ironic that it was this experience that left an impact. So, what was that impact?
I felt so impressed with a stronger determination to be more of what God needed me to be! I felt that it was sad that I had entered a place of worship, and left feeling a bit defiled...not because of the place, but because of another. It demonstrates a lack of respect. We live in a world where there is a lot of uncertainty. There are more and more cases where respect is no longer the norm. With that being said, we also live in a world where there is a lot of good. To you, my children, I say...be that good!!! Be a shining example that only you can be! Always remember the importance of showing forth love and respect to all men. For that is how God would have it. He loves all of His children. Things of God are sacred. Places of worship are sacred (even if it is not your place of worship). All of God's children are sacred!!! And God is aware of all of His children! So, I end this thought with words form President Hinckley let us all, "strive a little harder, to be a little better."
I truly am grateful for this experience. I feel my mind growing in amazing ways. I am learning so much about culture, and principles. I am loving this amazing country, and I owe it all to my family. Thank you. Oh, how I miss you!!!
Love you, Wifey and Mom

No comments: