Monday, November 16, 2009

Bryan, Hailey, Amber and Jacob here!

Carrie went to Europe for a week and left dad in charge while she was gone. For some unknown reason, people (particularly, the paramedics and neighbors worried about the girl’s hair) have been calling the house and stopping by to check on us. Well, just to put everyone at ease, the insurance agent said our policy covers all the damage and the lady from Health and Human Services was surprisingly understanding about what goes on when your wife leaves the country.

Anyway, with Mom coming home tomorrow, we thought we would update everyone on what we have done over the last week.

Before Carrie left, she wrote out detail day-by-day instructions of what we should be doing. She included times, addresses, and phone numbers (though she forgot to include Emergency Services). This was a helpful guide that we disregarded most of the time. The problem was that most of the stuff she put on the schedule was boring or hard. For example, each day had a menu. Some of the things were hard to make. I could never figure out the Minute Rice and the frozen lasagna would not fit in the microwave so we basically abandoned the menu. Really, the only things I can make anyway are Eggo Waffles, Mac and Cheese, and Chocolate Milk. Unfortunately, the kids got tired of burnt waffles and Mac and Cheese that “doesn’t taste like it does when Mom makes it”, so we decided on Plan B.



Carrie also left a list homework and chores for the kids to do everyday (there were chores for me too, but I assumed they were optional). The kids did not seem to like doing chores and homework though, and they only wanted to play and watch movies. Well, being the responsible parent I am, made sure they did not get away with doing nothing. We just compromised some.

Instead of piano practice, we agreed on music video games!

The kids always wanted to watch movies and we agreed that was fine, as long as it was a movie Dad liked.

Before she left, Carrie tried to give me the basics of how to do little girl hair, but there was a football game on at the time. Besides, I have some hair still, so I was pretty sure I could figure it out. Despite what you might think, I did not have any neighbors come over and help, though I did get about 400 offers. It seemed like no one believed I could do it, but I think it went well. In fact, just to document my success, I took these photos of the kids before they left for school. (DISCLAIMER: Not all days were as successful as these! Results may not have been typical!)



















As you can see, everything was under control. For some reason, no one was calling to offer help with getting Jacob ready each day. Not to worry though, this was right up my alley. For instance, here is Jacob on Saturday. You will never guess what we did all day on a fall Saturday with no Mom in the house to distract us. I love college football. We really have to buy this kid some Texas gear though! It is alright though. He knows the Fight Song.



This was not the end of the fun though. Here are a few glimpses inside the Miller Home when Mom is on a different continent.

A typical day in the life of Jacob. It is hard to be Jacob when Mom is gone and Dad is trying to do some work.








Dad Serves Breakfast!












We found time to play a little hide-and-seek. Amber is a little wrinkly because I forgot to throw in a dryer sheet.
Jacob plays with
Cars Part 1















Jacob plays with Cars Part 2












Jacob plays baseball
Part 1












Jacob plays baseball Part 2














Well, I think you can see that we had a pretty successful week with Mom gone, especially after the officer agreed not to press charges!

We hope you had a awesome time Mom! We love you!

Bryan, Hailey, Amber, Jacob

6 comments:

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie Miller said...

I am cracking up!!! You guys are way too cute to have taken all those pictures! I love it!! I am concerned; however, that the kids may not want mom home after a week like that :)! Whether they want me or not...I am dying to see them, and hug them...not to mention seeing you and hugging you too :)!! What a great post to read to start my day! Thank you family! I will see you in less than 24 hours.

P.S. Amber's style is much like the women here in Paris. Boots are worn with everything in everyway. Can you believe you are in style and you didn't even know it?

Unknown said...

This post is hilarious! Sounds like everyone had a great time.
Carrie- awesome you got to take that trip!

Jill said...

My kids got a good laugh looking at this post too. They were a little jealous at all the crazy moments the Miller kids had! Bryan, thanks for letting me play with your wife for the week! Very impressive that you did a week completely on your own. A definite inspiration for all dads! Can't wait for the next girls trip!

Liz said...

Bryan that was hilarious!

Angie said...

...still...laughing..too...hard...to...comment!