Friday, April 13, 2012

I am loving the moments I am spending with my little guy. I can't believe that he will be "all grown up" and entering Kindergarten this coming Fall. Whenever I think of this reality, I find myself longing for more time--more moments.  And then I remind myself that I still have time, and just because he is entering Kindergarten doesn't mean it is good-bye. Still... I am going to miss the one-on-one time shared--the tickle sessions, the laughter, the cuddles, the grocery shopping, and just simply having the day to ourselves. There is just something about cherished one-on-one time, and although we will still make it happen, it definitely will not come as easily as it does now. Thus, I find myself treasuring the day in and day out comings and goings, and relishing in the fact that I still have him here with me, and I am so very blessed.
Today while I was preparing lunch I found myself laughing at his questions and his innocent understanding of things. While we were sitting down to eat, I watched him as he stared at the laptop computer screen. A picture of the ocean came into view, and with absolute certainty he said, "there are whales, and sharks, and sea monsters in there". I chuckled. Why wouldn't he think there were sea monster's in there? After all, his favorite movie (DUCK TALES) has a whole episode surrounding the great SEA MONSTER... Of course it must be true! And now...after my moment of laughter I have found myself reflecting on the sweet innocence of children. They believe with all of their hearts. Their faith is solid. There is nothing wavering about the way that they think. I want to be more like that! ...just not necessarily about sea monster's.

Today as Jake said his prayer (the prayer he say's everyday) I found myself grateful for his memorized prayer. As his mother, I have tried to teach him to actually talk with his Heavenly Father. I have tried to explain that prayers are not something that we memorize, but an actual conversation with Heavenly Father. With that being said, I never want to forget how he utters the same phrase over and over--several times a day. I want to remember that although it is memorized--it is still his, and in its simplicity--it is beautiful. I know that someday--this will change too.

Jake's prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you to my sisters. Thank you to mom and dad. Thank you to Jacob. Thank you we can be together forever. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I think my prayers need to be more like his...with more gratitude.

No comments: