Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Reverence Tent
Last week we were reading in the "Friend" about another family who made a reverence tent during conference, so that they could be like the people during King Benjamin's reign from the Book of Mormon. In Mosiah 2:6 it reads, "And they pitched their tents round about the temple, every man having his tent with the door thereof towards the temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which King Benjamin should speak unto them".
My kids listened attentively to this story, and their faces lit up with anticipation as they realized that conference was coming up that very weekend. I have to admit that my first initial thought was not necessarily excitement...it was more along the lines of "uh oh--now there is no way around turning our house upside down"; however, my views soon changed as the days approached to conference. The days that followed were torturous with excitement. Several times I was asked "how many more days", or "how much longer". Finally the long awaited day arrived, and we woke up ready to build our tent. We used our couch, our kitchen table, chairs, and tons of blankets to create our masterpiece. When the tent was finally accomplished, our cute kids ran throughout the house gathering items to make it truly "comfy" and ready. They gathered pillows, and blankets to form beds. They also gathered "conference papers" (handouts I had prepared earlier to help entertain), and crayons. We built a tent that will go down in the "Miller Hall of Fame" for best tents ever! We were ready to listen to the prophet!
This really was so fun for our family! One of the rules of the "reverence tent" was to be really "reverent" so that we might be like the people of King Benjamin and hear the prophets voice. Our kids followed this rule surprisingly well, and Bryan and I were able to hear the inspired words with very little interruption. It also served another purpose...since we used all of our chairs to build the tent, there really was no "comfortable" place to sit, which created a better learning environment for us adults. I wish I could honestly say that I have never dozed in conference before...I know that the words spoken are inspired, and every time I have fallen asleep in the past I have felt a great loss for missing the word (even though it does come out in print). This year; however, was easier for all to be attentive, and therefore uplifted. I am truly grateful for a prophet that leads and guides me. I know his words are inspired. I know that if I listen and obey, I (and my family) will be blessed. I have a yearning desire to follow the prophet's inspired words, and therefore follow my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
Immediate goals obtained through listening to the word of God:
1. Take time to enjoy the moments
2. Pray not only for things needed, but pray prayers of thangsgiving, and pray prayers for those who may turn against you, and use you. Pray with more intent. Pray to talk with Heavenly Father.
3. We must have hope that things will work out for our good even when our trials seem unbearable. Our faith will grow, and we will be uplifted through our trials.
Hailey and Amber coloring ties for the general authorities (in our reverence tent).
Posing on top of the beautiful tent!

All three kids "listening" in the tent!

2 comments:

Pam said...

that is a great idea. We'll have to try it next time around.

Angie said...

Carrie - that is such a cute idea! I love it! I'm going to hunt down that story and use it next time around. You did a great job of making conference a great experience for your family and I really admire that!