Sunday, May 20, 2012

Learning to Ride a Bike
Jake is almost on two wheels... It has been somewhat of an internal "mother" battle. He really doesn't want to learn, because he is simply too afraid. So, why make him do it? Why encourage him to do something that causes him fear? Why not put on the training wheels, and go about life with no fear? This is my debate.

When I was a little girl I was faced with fear on more than one occasion. REAL EXTREME FEAR. Once I was bucked off of my horse. I remember thinking that I was not getting back on that horse--NEVER; however, without consulting me on my feelings, my father immediately placed me on the saddle and insisted I ride again. One time I was faced with herding a wild bull that continually charged me and my horse. My fear only mounted as I felt my father's safety was in danger when the bull hit my father's horse almost knocking my father to the ground. In this case, I saw fear in my father's eyes as well; however, with a prayer and a little bit of courage we continued to face the challenge, and herd the bull to the needed pen.

Not all of my "fears" had to do with ferocious animals. But each of these experiences helped me have courage to face the more dangerous fears that came later in life. The fears that could ruin my self worth. The fears of "loneliness", "unpopularity", and "choosing to stand alone". Facing my fears while I was young provided me with a strength to rely on something greater than myself. Each and every fear I faced--I faced it with a prayer. By learning to face my fears, I learned to rely on God, and I chose the pathway of unpopularity, of standing alone, and of loneliness. When times were hard, I knew God was with me--He was when I was afraid to ride my horse, and He was when I stood alone.

So, why make Jake face his fear? Because I know he can, and I know that by facing his fears he provides himself with a lesson that will make him become the man I want him to become. It is by small and simple experiences in our lives that build our character..., and it is by relying on our Father in Heaven that we become all that He wants of us.

I promised Jake that I would be there every step of the way. I also told him that Heavenly Father would be too. We have practiced praying for help, and we have relied on scriptures for strength. One of Jake's favorite scriptures is Joshua 1:9 which reads, "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest." As Jake gets ready to ride his bike, he chants to himself a portion of that scripture: "be not afraid, be not afraid, be not afraid, be not afraid...", and as he chants, his courage builds, and he rides with more confidence, and he begins to face his fear.


Giving words of encouragement




We're not there yet. We are making great strides, and Jake is beginning to actually ask for "bike time".

This summer we will begin facing the fear of "swimming".

No comments: