Monday, September 15, 2008

August 25, 2008 ~ The Process of Letting Go...

Here is my sweet Hailey on her first day of Kindergarten. Her teacher's name was Mrs. Johnson. I remember video taping her entrance (I think I may have even embarrassed her by my theatrics). I also remember her being quite nervous--not really wanting me to leave, but also excited to do it alone! I remember crying as I said good-bye (obviously hiding my tears from her), and wishing my baby girl would stop growing up.





Here is Hailey on her first day of first grade. Her teacher's name was Miss Mathews. She was definitely a seasoned school girl; however, she still wasn't quite sure of me leaving way too fast. I remember going home that day with a heavy heart. My baby really was growing up! She went from going to school for only a half day to a whole day. I remember crying a little harder this time. That simple transition was huge for me. I now was giving my little girl to somebody else for the greater part of her day, and I didn't like it--I missed her!

...and here we are now

This year Hailey took her first day of school pictures from home. She is now an "officially seasoned school girl". Mom is still important, but not "as" needed. There was no hanging around to make sure everything was okay... Nope, it was a quick good-bye, and I love you as she walked into her second grade classroom (and as I stood at the door with my arms extended). She couldn't be more excited! She was thrilled about her teacher (Mrs. Geis), and she was sure it was, and is, going to be the best year ever! As I watched her leave, the thought hit me with such great force what these past three years have been teaching me...I need to cherish the moments a little more, because soon there won't be so many moments to cherish! I am again anxiously waiting for summer to arrive!

Here is our second pose for our first day of school!
I think the hardest thing about school is allowing my little girl to face the world on her own. I want to wrap my arms around her and protect her from all the things I went through as a child; however, I also know that "protecting" her will be a great injustice to her sweet little life. I know that these experiences are good for her! Some are awesome and fun! Some are not so awesome, and not so fun! Again, I am realizing with greater understanding what it means to let your child grow up--she really isn't a baby anymore, but she will always be my baby whether she likes it or not! And I will always be waiting with my arms opened wide!

2 comments:

Pam said...

It is amazing the difference 2 years makes...she looks so mature now. Haylie is such a sweetheart.

Chad and Becca said...

Hi Carrie, I found your blog today. You kids are too adorable! I am still a few years away from the first day of Kindergarten and I am already nervous! I love your tradition of asking the girls who they are. It's wonderful that they know the answer, what a blessing!