Friday, April 17, 2015

Goodbye Tobler's

Goodbye Tobler Family

 Spencer Tobler has been Jake's best friend since before Jake understood what it meant to have a best friend. The Tobler's have been our neighbors since Jake was just a baby. They have been a part of our "Boise" family. We truly love the Tobler family.
When Jen told me they were moving, it upset me so much that I asked Bryan for a priesthood blessing. I struggled to find peace with this change. I've always known that change bothered me, but this was definitely a change I didn't want to face. When it came time for them to move, I began seeing blessings in which I could find gratitude:

*I am grateful for their friendship.
*The Tobler's will be a family that will always be a part of our lives. Our friendship will not end despite the thousands of miles between us.
*I am grateful that Jacob had a true friend at such a young age.
*I am grateful for the example the Tobler family set while they were here--they definitely made an impact on my family.
*I am grateful for FaceTime. Jacob and Spencer have already done this once, and they loved it!
*I am grateful for airplanes.
*I am grateful that Jen is my dear friend.
*I definitely miss the Tobler family, but I am grateful for the time they were a part of our lives, and for the opportunity that is ours to continue that friendship despite the thousands of miles.

It's funny how different challenges seem harder than other challenges. A friend moving may not be a struggle for one person while it is a struggle for another. I'm starting to understand that we are each unique--we all have different perspectives. When my brother passed away, I had several people tell me that I shouldn't be sad, that if I had faith, then I should just be okay. One person told me that they felt that because they had faith--they wouldn't struggle with the passing of a loved one. I don't begrudge people who feel differently than me. I am learning however, that we all have special opportunities to grow and develop. What helps one person stretch and grow, may not be what helps another person. Everything we experience along our pathway refines us into becoming what Heavenly Father would have us become. When the Tobler's moved, it was right after my brother's funeral. Amber sat on my lap with tears running down her cheeks and asked, "Why does it always have to be so hard?" I cried a little too. I then told her that it was all going to be okay--that all the struggles we endured would mold us into better people. We definitely miss the Tobler family, and it has been sad to not have them around; however, we are so blessed, so very blessed. And all these challenges are for our good.







The night before Spencer moved, Jacob came home to a big surprise in his room... Even now a month later--Jacob will not remove the signs on his walls or the crepe paper on his ceiling. 





Saying Good-bye

1 comment:

Tobler Family said...

We love and miss the Miller family too! We think about you guys all the time, and wish we could hang out. Good friend are hard to make and even harder to leave! Love you!