Saturday, April 4, 2015

Easter Egg Hunt & Conference

Happy Easter & General Conference

Jacob asked if the Easter Bunny could find us in a hotel. I told him that I was pretty sure he got the memo...
We had a fabulous time at General Conference. It was my first time I had attended. When I was in college, I drove to SLC with some roommates; however, we were never able to attend conference except in the overflow. This time as we traveled to conference, we had tickets for two of the four sessions--we were ready! I felt an amazing spirit as I listened to the prophet, and all the general authorities. My testimony was strengthened as eternal truths were taught. I loved having my children with me as we were all able to grow. 
In the Saturday afternoon session, there were opposing votes for the Prophet, the First Presidency, and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. This experience saddened me, but it also strengthened my testimony of the gospel. As we heard the opposing votes, all of my children turned to me for reassurance. The room was silent, so it was difficult to communicate comforting words. Hailey was so upset by the disruption that she began writing questions. As I sat listening to the rest of the sustaining votes, I wrote her my feelings.
I explained that sometimes we don't always understand why church leaders do what they do, and sometimes when people do not understand--they feel they need to have their voices heard. I explained that there are many controversial topics right now that have people questioning basic doctrines of the church. I told her that I had no doubt that the church leaders were men of God. I told her that I sustained them. I told her that if she ever found herself questioning a prophet of God, then she should pray and seek guidance. I told her to never stop reading the scriptures, because in them--there is safety.
My heart was saddened and strengthened as I heard the opposing vote. Saddened, because I truly believe that these men are called of God; strengthened, because a new determination swelled in me to continue the path. As we stood to sing "We Thank Thee Oh God For a Prophet", it seemed that my heart wasn't the only heart strengthened. I don't think I ever heard a congregation sing with so much gusto as that congregation did at that moment. It was concourse of voices shouting their support to our prophet of God.
I know that my mind doesn't understand ALL things; however, I do have faith that the Lord leads and guides His church through the prophet. I am grateful to President Monson for his sacrifice in guiding the church in this dispensation. I thank God for a prophet!


I was worried about Easter and Conference in a hotel; however, I loved our weekend in Salt Lake. It was one of my favorite trips as a family, and I look forward to repeating it again.



We saw Grandma and Grandpa!


No comments: