Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Day

Merry Christmas

I have so many thoughts when it comes to Christmas. Every year I work towards a picture perfect event. I am not even sure I know what that event would look like, but I know it has something more to do with giving than with receiving. I also know that it would be centered on Christ. As we celebrate Christ's birth, and as we talk of Him-- I hope our celebrations are focused on the one reason for the season. I hope my children understand that Christmas doesn't come from a store, but Christmas is a little bit more. 

It's a tradition, on Christmas morning, for the kid's to enter the living room together, so that everyone can see their gifts from Santa at the same time:

Hailey's reaction to her new skis.
This year for Christmas, we decided to give the kids ski passes and ski equipment along with one "fun" gift. 

Santa

Ski Equipment

Ski Equipment

Before we opened our gifts for each other, we spent a moment reflecting our on Savior. We usually use our finger puppets on Christmas Eve; however, this year I felt like experimenting with Christmas Day. We have several devotionals leading up to Christmas all focused on Christ. I'm looking for traditions for Christmas Day. I saw a friend use their Christmas by serving others, and by eating a Jerusalem style dinner. I love these ideas. I want to incorporate more of this into our Christmas Day celebration.

Giving Before Receiving

We have tried to teach our children the importance of giving. The whole month of December our family home evening lessons are focused with this theme in mind. The idea that Christ gave His life that we might live. The idea that as we give of ourselves, we emulate the Spirit of Christmas. Sometimes I wonder if we have too many traditions during Christmas time; however, I can't imagine not experiencing the giving each traditions provides. One of these traditions is the tradition of sibling giving. 

Hailey gives to Jake

Hailey gives to Amber

Amber's gift to Hailey. (Hailey has been wanting a purse for a very long time.)

I love Amber's excitement as she gave her gift.

Amber's gift to Jake.

Amber and Jake give to Hailey.

Jacob give to Amber.

Jacob gives to Hailey.

The children give to Dad.

The children give to Mom.

I needed some warm clothes to go skiing...


Dad and I gave Jacob a pocketknife. It was the perfect gift full of excitement. We could have only given him the knife, and he would have been a happy boy.

The day before Christmas the weather was rainy and wet. The kid's wanted a white Christmas more than anything. I was less than hopeful that it would happen; however, on Christmas Eve it began to snow. The kids were elated to have snow for Christmas. It was a miracle.

No comments: