Monday, June 11, 2012

Happy 11th Birthday, Hailey!
In our family, we do not have many "friend" parties. We love to celebrate birthdays in a big way; however, it is usually done as a family. Because we do not have many "friend" party's, when we do have a party--it's a bigger deal. Somehow my children have determined that "friend" party's only happen every 5 years. To be honest, we never meant to have a specified "time frame". Years simply passed without having a "friend" party, and when we realized the gap--we determined to have another party. It was this gap that convinced our children of the specified time frame. Following the five year schedule, Hailey should have had a friend party on her 10th birthday; however, she insisted on waiting until her 11th birthday due to the fact that her 11th birthday would be her GOLDEN BIRTHDAY. A "golden birthday" is the birthday that matches the date of the actual birthday to the age a person is turning. Since Hailey was turning 11, and she was born on June 11--it was her "golden birthday".

So, for a year, Hailey had been planning on having a "friend" party for her eleventh birthday. However, also for a year, I wanted to throw Hailey a surprise party, which meant I needed to deter her from her plan. Every time Hailey would ask about her birthday--my answer was always vague and noncommittal. When her birthday was only a few days away, Hailey was sure that her dream of a friend party wasn't the reality.

Planning a surprise party for Hailey was a bit tricky. I enlisted the help of her friend, Taylor Harris, who gathered addresses, emails, and phone numbers of all of their friends. I also asked April, Taylor's mom, if Taylor could invite Hailey to do something on the day of her birthday disguised as a birthday celebration for the two friends. When Taylor asked Hailey to go on an outing, I faked hesitation--saying that birthday's are usually a day for the family; however, because Hailey wanted to go, and because I wanted her to have a special birthday--I obliged. The plan for her birthday was determined to first go to the zoo and have a picnic lunch (as a family). I then dropped Hailey off at Taylor's house with the instructions that daddy would pick her and Taylor up after work (we invited Taylor over for our family party). I then rushed home to prepare for her party!

Here's her day:
 
 ZOO 
 
 




PICNIC
Hailey had asked for another CTR ring.

CARNIVAL SURPRISE PARTY

We ate hot dogs, popcorn, nachos, and chips--all carnival foods.

Group Picture
Katie, Rachael, Avery, Elise, Anna, Mattie, Wendy, Amber, Taylor, Hailey, Kortlyn, Jacob, Brooke, and Breanna

Football Throw through a Ladder (Back of Picture)
Ping Pong Toss Into Cups (Middle)
Water Squirt (Front)

Dart Throw
We also had a Ladder's game, Face Painting, and a Lawn Dart Throw.
Prize Table.
At each game, they earned tickets... and then received prizes for the tickets earned.


Carnival Cake
 

 
We asked Hailey's friends to bring gifts to donate to The Ronald McDonald House. Hailey's sister had done this previously, and Hailey had always said she wanted to do the same. It made me nervous to make this decision without consulting her, but in the end--I felt she would have wanted it that way, and I was right.


We have a tradition where we pass a paper labeled "You Are Special", and write what we love about that child. Here is what was written about Hailey:
I love your smile. -Mom
I love your singing. ~Mom
You are a good friend. ~Amber
I love that you include your siblings. ~Dad
You make me feel good. ~Amber
I love that you work hard in everything you do. ~Mom
I love that you read your scriptures. ~Dad
You are so giving. ~Amber
I love your attitude when things don't go your way--you take things in stride. ~Mom
I love your obedience. ~Mom
I love that you include your siblings. ~Dad
You can light up my day. ~Amber
You can be so nice. ~Jake

No comments: