Saturday, June 30, 2012

FAMILY CONFERENCE PART 2
On Saturday we ran a 5K. It was our declaration of "hating" cancer in Michelle's honor. I had initially planned on walking the race; however, as we started, I decided to try running. I hadn't ran in quite some time. My exercise levels were definitely needing an improvement--I was out of shape. I had only ran a short distance when I began picking out trees at the end of the trail, and promising myself a break if I could only reach them. At one point in time, I was ready to slow to a walk when my sister-in-law, Andrea, came to my rescue. She shouted words of encouragement, and kept my mind off my tired lungs. Several times I wanted to stop, and each and every time I started to slow down--she encouraged me to continue. I remember her vividly telling me that if I told my mind I could accomplish it--then I would. She said over and over again that my mind could conquer my body--I just had to believe I could. Throughout the run, I begged her to leave me and run ahead. I knew I was slowing her progress, and I felt guilty. Even with my persistence, she wouldn't leave. It was her words of encouragement, and my determination to express love to Michelle, that kept me running. When we were nearing the finish line, she encouraged me to run hard to the finish. With her encouragement, I finished the race--not walking, but running.

This race has blessed my life. Not only was I able to sacrifice (and it truly was a sacrifice for me) for a dear sister-in-law, but I was given an example of our Father in Heaven's love for us. Andrea didn't leave me. She encouraged me. And because of her--I succeeded. Her encouragement parallels our Father in Heaven's love for us as He encourages us on our sojourn here on Earth. He wants us to succeed, and because it is important to Him that we do succeed--He sends messengers to give us encouragement and love in times of need. He does not give up on us! There have been numerous times in my life when I have felt that I couldn't take another step, and in those moments of despair--my loving Father in Heaven has sent me an angel. An angel in the form of a friend, a family member, or sometimes a complete stranger. As I seek Him, He sends me aide. I am so grateful to a Heavenly Father who loves me, who is keenly aware of me and who cares about the smallest details of my life. When I think of Heavenly Father's love, my feelings of insignificance seem to disappear, and I my dreams are within reach! Because like Ammon said in the Book of Mormon, "...in his [the Lord's] strength I can do all things".

I will forever look to this race with fondness. Not only did I learn a lesson about my Father's love, but I also gained a greater appreciation for my family. As we ran toward a common goal, our hearts were knit together, and I felt united with my loved ones.



The START.
Drinking from an Icing Bag, because there was no other water, and I was about to die.
Michelle, Zachary, Amber, Robert
Uncle Jeff, and Owen
Hailey, Matthew, and Aunt Shaura
Carly and Ava
FINISH.

No comments: