Friday, June 29, 2012

BE STRONG AND OF GOOD COURAGE...for the Lord Thy God is with Thee
Joshua 1:9
Hey Man, I've Got Your Back
This year for Family Conference, Bryan and I were in charge, so we were able to choose the theme of Family Conference. We chose to focus our thoughts on the support we receive from our Father in Heaven (Joshua 1:9), and from our families. Believing in our Father and Heaven, and our family has been a theme in our home for quite some time: 
About two years ago a friend of our family passed away. Ever since then, Jacob constantly asks questions concerning death. After a while those questions turned inward, and he began asking questions concerning his death. Jacob was afraid of dying, and anything that could be a “cause” of his dying. As his mother, I felt that we needed to help Jacob in his fears. As I turned to the Lord in prayer, I felt guided in taking off the training wheels from his bike; however, whenever Jacob cried for his training wheels—I questioned my methods. One day Jacob sat beside his bike begging me to “please put back on the training wheels”. I sat down beside him, and as tenderly as possible, I made a promise that I was not going to put the training wheels back on his bike. As I spoke these words, my heart broke. Why would I willingly cause my child fear? Another time as I encouraged Jake to start peddling, he looked up at me and asked, “what if I don’t?” Again, my heart fumbled. My mind reflected on our spiritual journey here on Earth. What if we don’t? What if we don’t follow the plan? What if? Just like I couldn’t MAKE Jake ride a bike, the Lord cannot MAKE us choose His way. Without answering his question, I silently prayed that he would, and he did. Slowly our work turned into progress, and Jake began riding his bike; however, each time he rode—he still struggled with fear. One morning as we were getting ready to ride, I felt prompted to have Jake pray. We talked about praying for help in riding his bike, and then we prayed for that help. After his prayer, I asked Jake to tell me his favorite scripture. He slowly began reciting Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid…” as soon as Jacob said those words, I stopped him and asked him to repeat the last part again. As he slowly said the words, “be not afraid”, understanding seemed to change his countenance. I then asked him to tell me the rest of the scripture, to which he concluded “for the Lord thy God is with thee” (Joshua 1:9). We set out to ride bikes with a new determination; however, Jacob quickly lost his new found courage, and started to cry out in desperation. It was at this moment that I reminded Jacob of our scripture, “Jake—be not afraid.” Remembrance flickered on his face and he began chanting, “be not afraid, be not afraid, be not afraid” (Joshua 1:9). Jake’s bike steadied, and ever since that moment, whenever he finds he is nervous—he chants, “be not afraid, be not afraid, be not afraid”. We have begun using this phrase for all of Jake's fears, and as we cheer and encourage, Jake is feeling his Father in Heaven, and his heart knows that God is with him. Each time he is reminded of the phrase, "...the Lord Thy God is With Thee..."--Jacob's face turns from turmoil to peace.  Together with our Father in Heaven, we are overcoming for after all--family is God's institution on the Earth--we are His hands, and it is through us that God can work his greatest miracles.
Just recently our dear sister, sister-in-law, and aunt was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer. It is in moments like these that we become what God wants us to become. This is the time when we rally, cheer, and support. This is when we show our love, and through our love we become disciples of our Heavenly Father. We become His hands, and together we make a difference!
Thus, as we have conquered fears, and as we have rallied our love for both Jake and Michelle--our theme was born!
Devotional
Playing scripture charades centered on stories of the Lord and great courage.

FAMILY GAMES--I'VE GOT YOUR BACK!
Each family was timed at different stations. The family that had the best time overall won a prize, but the biggest prize went to the family who worked together and supported each other!
Ring Toss
Adam, Matt, Tim, Uncle Jeff
Sharp Shooting
 


Shake Your Booty
Shaking Ping Pong Balls from a Kleenex Box
 
 
Cheese Puff Throw

 

Frisbee Golf
After Family Games, we played a game of Ultimate Frisbee...


Hailey, Amber, and Jake wanted to have a Drive-In Movie Night with their cousins. They picked out treats, and set up a projector. The kids had so much fun!

No comments: