Friday, July 25, 2014

Facing Fears

Zoo & Natatorium

We had a great time at the Zoo and the Natatorium. We enjoyed the hot sun, and then we quickly cooled off by going swimming. I love these summer days. I love the time I have with my children. I love the pure enjoyment of watching their excitement over life. To be a kid again...I learn a lot from my children. I want to be more like them. I want to enjoy life to the fullest, to love, to giggle, to be more carefree, and to simply experience life with pure excitement. Can you see it in their eyes? Childlike Faith. Childlike Joy.




NATATORIUM
Jacob and I have been working on swimming for quite some time now. He has been in swimming lessons for years, and somehow...he simply wasn't getting it--he was too afraid to trust the lessons he was receiving. I finally pulled him from lessons, and started working with him individually--just the two of us. As I started teaching him, he started making huge improvements.  Those improvements; however, came through a lot of sweat and tears, a lot of patience, and a lot of persistence. I think Jacob finally realized that I wasn't going to give up or go away. Once he realized that we were in it for good, he started listening, and trusting. His improvements were so great that I finally convinced him to take the swim test at the IVY WILD. I held my breath as he swam, and I prayed my heart out. I knew that his passing or not passing could be either a huge triumph or a debilitating defeat. I can't tell you the relief I felt as the lifeguard passed him. He absolutely needed this accomplishment for his confidence in the water. He also needed it for his confidence in life. Fear has been a constant struggle for us. This was just another moment in teaching Jacob that he can overcome--that we can all overcome. I am thrilled at how far he's come! I am so grateful! So very grateful! With hard work--hard things can be accomplished! Here Jacob is at the Natatorium completely confident coming out of the tube.





No comments: