Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day
It has always been my goal to make Christmas more than receiving. I want my kid's to see the true meaning of the Holiday, to experience the joy of the Savior. Last year, we took our kid's to Disneyland in November, and we told them that that would be there gift. There was no asking for presents, because they had already received a gift. Instead of thinking about what they wanted, they focused on what they could give their siblings. Christmas Day was extremely touching. It was exactly how I had always envisioned Christmas should be. My children were not even interested in what Santa had brought--they immediately rushed to the tree and begged their siblings to begin opening the gift they had prepared for them--they had caught the spirit of giving, and it was amazing.

This year, I wanted to experience the same joy on Christmas morning; however, I wasn't sure how to create the same feelings when there wasn't a trip to supersede the receiving of gifts. Throughout the Holiday Season I worried that we were not going to experience the same kind of joy, because instead of only focusing on "giving"--my kid's now had a Christmas list, and it bothered me; however, as the Season unfolded, I was reminded that although giving was essential in receiving the Christmas Spirit--receiving graciously was also a portion to that formula. It wasn't bad for my children to receive--but, it was important for them to receive with grace and dignity--like the Savior.

We have many Christmas traditions that focus on the Savior. We have a countdown, which focuses on each part of the nativity. In addition to each spiritual lesson surrounding the nativity, our family focuses on actually participating in service--some big, some small. The point of this tradition is to simply bring our focus where it should be--the Savior. In retrospect, I think these traditions have been teaching my children more about Christ than I had originally anticipated.

As I watched my kid's open their gifts this Christmas, I felt reassured that they were learning about the most important. They were learning about the true meaning of Christmas, and they were giving and receiving with grace. I hope we can continue to grow and continue in our process of BECOMING focused on what matter's most through our Christmas celebrations. 




Amber was so excited for Hailey to open the gift she had made for her. She spent hours making a blanket especially for Hailey. She coupled it with a DVD of Hailey's favorite show, and called it "a movie experience". Amber was so excited to give, and even better--Hailey was a gracious receiver (it probably helped that she absolutely loved it).
The girl's gave Jacob a combined gift. They both bought him a set of scriptures (including their testimonies) with a case, and a Ninja Suit.


Hailey made Amber a bag. I couldn't' tell who was more excited for this gift--Hailey or Amber.

Jacob bought Hailey a skirt. I love how this picture expresses Hailey's feelings as she received his gift.

All Amber wanted for Christmas (all she asked for) was a Four Square Ball. Jacob pulled through with her only desire, and they both were delighted. Jacob couldn't wait to give this gift. In fact, we had to keep telling him to be patient. We hid this gift under several branches, because it was so obvious that it was a ball--even while wrapped. Jacob kept pulling it out, and we kept hiding it again--he could hardly wait for her to open it!

I have wanted a set of pearl earrings for as long as I can remember. My daughter has received two pairs of pearl earrings from her grandma, and I am always asking to borrow a pair. This year for Christmas, my children gave me a set of pearl earrings. I love how this picture shows a tear in the corner of my eyes. I was so excited and touched that they had even thought about giving me pearl earrings. I simply couldn't' hold back my emotions.



No comments: