Thursday, February 26, 2009

Amber's Birthday Party
February 5, 2009
I told Amber that when she turned "five", she could have a birthday party. We had to be in Idaho Falls over her actual birthday, so we planned the party for the Thursday just before her birthday. It was "suppose" to be a "small girl" party; however, Amber really wanted one boy as well...Tyler (a boy from church, and preschool). Everything at the party was "girl themed"...poor Tyler.
About a month before Amber's party, we surprised Hailey at school with lunch, and love notes. Amber had so much fun serving her sister! Every day after surprising Hailey, Amber would look for new ways to serve. One day she asked, "Mom, what else can I do to serve? I really want to serve." I had heard about having birthday parties to give to the needy rather than the birthday child, and so I mentioned this idea as an option. I really didn't think she would want to give away her birthday gifts, but as soon as I mentioned the idea, she was jumping off the chairs screaming with excitement. I couldn't believe her joy. When Hailey came home from school, she excitedly told her all about her plans to give on her birthday! Honestly, I half expected Amber to change her mind, but she never did.
Her birthday invitations read:
And so the party began.....
After making candy necklaces, we set off on a wild and crazy treasure hunt. It was literally a bit crazy with all of the kids running from one part of the house to another, but I think they all had a great time, which totally makes it worth it~right?
For the "treasure" the kids found a heart shaped pinata. Again, this activity was a bit crazy as I tried desperately to insure every child's safety with every crazy swing...in the end, all was well and candy bags were full!
All in all we had so much fun! My favorite game was the musical present. All the kids sat in a circle and passed a wrapped gift while music was playing. When the music stopped playing, the child with the gift would open the first layer. There were five layers, and each layer held party favors (all very simple...mostly candy). Anyways, I loved this game! It was a fun way to give party favors. I will definitely use it again. The kids loved it too. (I got the idea off of a just for moms Internet site.)
Amber Getting Ready to Blow
Introducing Amber's heart shaped jello "cake"! Amber hates cake. I really don't understand it, but the kid honestly hates cake. I gave her a choice of several different options, and she chose to have a jello "cake". The day of her party I realized I didn't have everything I needed, so I frantically ran to the store, ran home, and created a masterpiece just in time for it to set up before the party. After working so hard to present Amber with her very own jello "cake", I was really excited for her to try it! So, when I cut Amber a piece of the "cake", and she politely turned it down... I was a bit disappointed. When I asked her why she wouldn't eat the cake she simply replied,"I really didn't want a jello 'cake'." When I asked her why she hadn't told me prior to the making of the cake, she replied, "I didn't want to hurt your feelings."
Amber blowing out her "five" candles!!! Happy Birthday Amber!!!!!
The Ronald McDonald House
February 9, 2009

We delivered the gifts that everybody generously gave to the Ronald McDonald house the following Monday. It just happened to be Daddy's birthday, so we quickly picked him up from work, and went to spread some joy. Truly, this was such a sweet, amazing experience! The feelings you feel when you give is amazing, but the feelings you feel when your child willingly gives is humbling. Bryan and I were so happy that Amber chose to give rather than receive. There was a sweet peace amongst our family as we toured The Ronald McDonald House, and it stayed throughout the day! We want to thank all those little girls and boy who participated in our Ronald McDonald toy drive! Thank you!!! We are truly grateful!

No comments: