Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Happy Birthday, Hailey

HAPPY 13TH BIRTHDAY, HAILEY!

When I think about my kids, I get a lump in my throat. Being a mom is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but it is also one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. One of my favorite quotes states, "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone) I love this quote, because it is exactly how I feel. I watch my children struggle with school, friends, and all of the trials this world has to offer, and my mom heart cries with them. I watch my children laugh, run, and enjoy all that this world has to offer, and my mom heart leaps with joy. I watch my children grow a little older... and my mom heart wishes I could freeze time. My baby girl turns 13 today. As I type that phrase, I cry a bit. I'm trying so hard to enjoy the moments, and capture a picture within my mind to remember forever. I keep telling my "positive side" that 13 really isn't that old--I still have a long time with this little angel of mine. However, my "practical side" tells me that 13 is only 5 years away from graduating from High School, and only 6 years away from possibly going on a mission... Time is precious. I am in awe at how short 13 years now feels as I am looking back on my time with my little girl.

A few months ago we were having the conversation of "how old was I when...". The question was asked, "How old were you when you had Hailey?"  I remember pausing, and being hit with a realization that Hailey was growing up too quickly...not just Hailey, but all of my kids. It almost took my breath away as I realized how little of time I have with my children.  At that moment, I wished once again for more time. One of my favorite songs is by Hilary Weeks. It is called, "Stand Still". As my kid's go off to school, I like to listen to this song. Perhaps so I can wallow in my sadness, or maybe so I can appreciate them, and love them more when they are with me. 

  
STAND STILL
I've been taking pictures for a long, long time
Some are on paper but most are in my mind
Snapshots and memories of the days when you were young
I plan to keep them
Long after you've grown and gone
I remember watching as you took your first step
Seems the clocks been running faster ever since
Every day a little taller, it says so on the wall
The days are passing
And they're not going to stop
And if I could
I would
Ask time to stand still
So I could hold you a little longer
I'd make the minutes stop
So we would always have today
I wont let the sun go down
Until you know how I feel
I love you so much
I wish time could stand still
Fingerprints all over the sliding glass door
And I can barely see underneath the toys on the floor
I have wished away the sleepless nights, the noise and the messes made
But my heart reminds me
I'm gonna miss these days
So if I could
I would

I really do wish I could ask time to stand still. Thirteen years have come and gone, and with those years, we have been richly blessed with a beautiful teenage daughter! Here are 13 reasons we love Hailey:

1. I love that you talk to me. You tell me about your day and we share a special moment each time you do! ~Mom
2. I love that you always are thinking of others feelings. ~Amber

3. I love that you are not afraid to share your testimony. ~Dad

4. I love that she is nice. ~Jacob
5. I love that you pray and seek answers for yourself. ~Mom
6. I love that you are caring. ~Amber
7. I love that you take care of your brother and sister. ~Dad
8. I love that Hailey helps me. ~Jake
9. I love that you have the courage to choose the right. ~Mom
10. I love that you are a peacemaker. ~Amber
11. I love that you do not give up or accept failure. ~Dad
12. I love that you are happy. ~Jacob
13. I love that you are a classy, spiritual young lady. ~Mom

No comments: