Tuesday, September 11, 2012

LIFE LESSONS
A few months ago, I took my children grocery shopping at Costco. While shopping, Amber saw prepackaged grapefruit, and was insistent that she absolutely loved grapefruit, and couldn't live another day without this delectable treat! I usually do not give into my children's pleadings; however,  in the name of "health" I was persuaded in buying the DELICIOUS grapefruit packages. As soon as we arrived home, Amber declared her excitement, and begged to eat a grapefruit package--her excitement and anticipation was palpable. I quickly agreed, and opened the package and sat back to watch the complete joy that was about to spread across my beautiful daughter's face. To my surprise, joy was not the expression that met my eyes. In fact, it was the opposite of joy. A bit startled, I asked Amber why the joy of a few moments ago had disappeared? And Amber, being somewhat surprised herself, expressed a dislike to the absolutely delectable, and delicious grapefruit. To which I asked,
"But haven't you tried grapefruit? Didn't you know what you were asking to receive?"
To which she responded that she had never really tried grapefruit--she had only witnessed grapefruit being eaten.

A month later...
I had ten cute little packages of grapefruit still in my refrigerator. Grapefruit isn't a cheap fruit...especially when it comes prepackaged in a cute little cup ready to eat. I began feeling as if my daughter needed to learn a life skill about the value of money, and honesty. I asked her to pay me for the grapefruit promising her return payment once the grapefruit was eaten. I then talked to her about honesty. I knew her intents were not to be dishonest with me; however, she chose not to disclose that she had never eaten grapefruit previously because of her desire to try it; and therefore, I bought the fruit under the assumption that she had already tried and loved this delectable fruit. With thoughts of earning back her hard earned Disneyland money, Amber ate another container of grapefruit.
 
One month later...
Slowly the delectable fruit began making room for other commodities in my refrigerator; however, to my surprise, it wasn't Amber eating the grapefruit--it was her father. Once I realized this predicament, there was only one container left, and Amber was anxiously awaiting her payment without actually earning it herself. In a final effort to teach Amber a lesson, I gave Amber the last bowl of grapefruit for breakfast. I gave her a choice: eat the grapefruit and earn back her money, or don't eat it and forfeit her money to mom. With sadness, Amber walked to the pantry and pulled out the sugar container. She served herself several heaping spoonfuls of sugar, and began choking down the fruit. Although I was sad to see her so dismayed, I couldn't help laughing when I saw her bowl.
 

It reminded me of a song from Mary Poppins: A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down. Oh, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way! I'm not sure that Amber felt that today's breakfast was delightful, but I am sure it was sweet, and I hope there was a lesson learned.
 

1 comment:

Bryan said...

I thought those were not too bad. Little Monkeys...