Monday, October 11, 2010

~Each Life that Touches Ours For Good~
Jason Fisher is a pillar of strength. In his fight against cancer, he displayed the strength of character that we all strive to exhibit. He was not angry. He was determined. He fought cancer with faith, determination, and with courage. When others would cry, he would build them, and encourage them. He was a rock. When Jason's tumor resurfaced after a year of being cancer free, I faltered--I cried. I lost some hope, and I lost a bit of faith. Jason did not. He once again demonstrated Christ-like attributes as he calmed and reassured his loving family and friends. As the months passed, and the cancer started taking the upper hand, Jason remained determined. And through his example, more heroes stepped in to take the lead. His dear wife, Heather, was strong and courageous. Day in and day out she cared for him. She loved him. Slowly Jason began needing help in almost every area of his life, and Heather was there to offer it. I watched her as she spoke to him--knowing that he was unable to respond. I watched her as she kissed his eyebrow--knowing that he could not return her affection. I watched her as she patiently brushed his teeth, fed him, and spoke sincere words of comfort and love, and through hit all--he could not respond.

Jason and Heather are two people who I consider to be heroes. When they were dealt a difficult hand, they faced it with courage and grace. They showed love and patience during a time when it would have been easy to give up. Our character is molded by the everyday little decisions we make--we become who we are by how we choose to respond during life's difficulties. Each choice either builds our character, or diminishes our character. Heather and Jason have chosen the better part. And for that example, they have become heroes in my eyes. I too, want to emulate their strength in character. I too, want to stand strong in the face of trials. I too, want to be all that my Lord and Savior need me to be.

Jason passed away on Sunday. He fought a good fight. I will miss him. And yet, somehow I know he is happier. I know that he has finally found peace, and his battle with cancer is over--he endured to the end
.

On Jason's birthday, Heather asked friends and family to share with Jason our favorite memory...I would like to share those thoughts once again...

Jason,
It has been difficult choosing just one memory. I feel I have a thousand little memories that encompass who you are. I have memories of seeing you at the book store while Heather and I went on a bike ride. I have memories of you checking on Heather while she was at my house. Then I have memories of you helping me when Heather wasn't home--whether it was the car, or the computer, I knew I could come to your house for help. And as I think of each of these little memories, I remember your smile, and a twinkle in your eye. All of these memories are simple neighborly memories that encompass who you are; however, my fondest memory exemplifies just that, and much, much more. My fondest memory was in the midst of trial, and although it was not a "fond" time, my memory is sweet because of the love I felt from you. It was the night I came to your house seeking to offer comfort, and in reality you offered comfort to me. I had thought my emotions were under control, and yet as I walked into your living room--I couldn't help my tears. Without hesitation you wrapped your arms around my shoulders, and offered words of encouragement. You were a rock. You never faltered. You were steadfast. And through everything you have endured--you have shown this amazing strength of character. You have found laughter in difficulty. You have found positives in the face of trials. You have found the silver lining! Your strength is an amazing example to me, which I am striving to emulate. I look at both you and Heather, and I feel amazingly blessed to have such amazing neighbors, friends, and much, much more--family! I have found family in the two of you, and I am so blessed because of it! There is a church song that states, "each life that touches ours for good, reflects thine own great mercy, Lord; Thou sendest blessings from above, thru words and deeds of those who love...what greater gift dost though bestow, what greater goodness can we know, than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways, strengthen our faith, enrich our days." I will forever be grateful to my Heavenly Father for sending me you! We are not neighbors by accident.
Happy Birthday!
Love, Carrie

...I am so grateful to the plan of salvation. I know I will see Jason again! Without a doubt--I know it! And so, this is not good-bye--but a small detour on life's trail...until we meet again, Jason Fisher!

1 comment:

thomheat said...

This warms my heart, Carrie!