Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Miller Family Conference
June 2009
Every summer we make lifelong memories at the cabin with The Miller Family at our annual Miller Family Conference! We spend the week riding four-wheelers, swimming, playing games, and simply enjoying each other's company. By the end of the week my kids are dead tired, and ready to have a vacation catching up from our vacation. However, at the close of each and every family conference, we can't help but feel a bit melancholy that another year has passed, and our week of fun is over. Perhaps the moments are truly over, but those moments have created memories for my family that last a lifetime. Memories that are strong enough to bind a family together forever! Memories that will carry us as we begin to look forward to next year's MILLER FAMILY CONFERENCE!!
~Swimming in the Culvert~


INTRODUCING MARSHMALLOW GUNS, GOLF, & WARS
Logan, Carly, and Amber shooting at the adults behind "some" coverage.
~We had so much fun making marshmallow guns, playing golf with marshmallow's, and then (of course), having marshmallow wars!~

~Bryan playing marshmallow golf~

~Hailey concentrating while shooting her marshmallow gun!~


MOTORCYCLES
I had gone on a four-wheeler ride, and just as I was arriving at the cabin, I saw Hailey in a heap in the dirt. She had tried to ride the motorcylce, and had fallen. My heart was beating as Bryan helped her out of the dirt. Gratefully, Hailey was fine; however, I am not so sure that I was fine as I watched Bryan instruct Hailey on proper riding of a motorcycle. I watched tentatively as she and Bryan rode together for several rounds, and then it was Hailey's turn to do it by herself...

SHE DID IT!
I think sometimes it is more difficult for the parent to watch their child "try again" than it is for the child to actually do it again. However, these are the moments that teach perseverance, determination, and self-confidence! These moments may be difficult for me to watch, but are definitely required in raising a child. I was never in doubt that she needed to get back on that bike...I just didn't like it.

~Jakey + Four-Wheeler = LOVE~
Jacob loves four-wheelers, and he begged for a ride from anyone and everyone who would give it to him. He sat in the garage on the four-wheelers chanting "four-wheeler ride please" over and over again! Many of his older cousins obliged him several times...along with mom and dad, and grandma and grandpa, and aunts and uncles...Jake was always on a four-wheeler.

~THE GIRL COUSINS, and their matching bracelets, which Hailey made as a special gift for each girl.~

The GIRLY GIRLS with Grandma...Karen was unable to come, and she was missed greatly!

~MILLER FAMILY PORTRAIT~


BOAT RACES

When I first married Bryan, I do not think I appreciated the value of this tradition, but as the years have passed, and memories have been made...I wouldn't miss this tradition for the world! Someday I will have to ask how this tradition was ever dreamed up, but for now it suffices to say that it is a simple tradition in which we all choose "boats" (i.e. sticks, pine cones, cow pies, weeds), which we then throw into the stream, and cheer like crazy for our "boat" to persevere! The winner is always the most talented boat (of course)...except when my boat is behind, and then is mere happen chance that someone else's boat won. Actually..., this is the first year my boat was even in the running...but, boy did we have fun!

SECOND PLACE with SHOOT 'EM UP...I think that's what I named it...we all give our boats names too...it's good for cheering purposes!

2 comments:

Bryan said...

If The Hot Rod did not win the race, someone clearly cheated. It was probably that wimpy CowPie. Shoot ‘em Up better get used to second place because that is the best you can do when The Hot Rod is racing.

Carrie Miller said...

Very funny, my dear!!! The Hot Rod has been a contestant now for years, and only won races in the beginning...there are newer younger contestants now! Watch out! Shoot'em Up will only be seeng Hot Rod by looking backwards!