Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving

We traveled to Idaho Falls for Thanksgiving this year. All of my siblings and their families were able to come.  On Thanksgiving morning, some of the family went ice fishing while the rest of us stayed home to help prepare the meal. I can't remember a Thanksgiving where we didn't go fishing—it’s tradition. Thanksgiving dinner was at mom's house. It was just like old times as we were crowded tightly together in the kitchen while a dull roar of conversation echoed throughout dinner. Afterwards, we had two Christmas gift exchanges--one for the children, and one for the adults. It has been a long time since I have laughed so hard--we truly had a great time!

The day after Thanksgiving, we were able to go to the temple to complete some family temple work. It was an awesome experience being in the House of the Lord with my family. I feel so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the blessings of family. I am truly blessed to have so many great people in my life.

Elder Cook said, “My counsel is that we need to focus our energy on strengthening our families by talking, rejoicing, preaching, and prophesying of Christ, that we may enjoy the reward of righteous families so we can be eternal families”
(BYU Women's Conference, May 2014).

ICE FISHING






KID'S GIFT EXCHANGE

Michelle prepared a gift exchange for the kids. She wrapped different gifts with packing tape--the person with the wrapped blob of gifts worked to remove a gift while the person next to them tried to roll a double with a set of dice. If the person with the blob of gifts removed a gift prior to a double being rolled, they were able to keep it; however, if a double was rolled prior to extracting a gift, the person with the gifts did not get a gift, but rather passed the gift to the next person in the circle (the person who had been rolling the dice). I honestly can't believe how intense this game became. It was so funny and exciting!

Rules Explained


Jacob's arms weren't strong enough to remove a toy without a little help. Amber's turn was just prior to Jacob's turn, so towards the end of the game, she started breaking off chunks, so that Jake would have an easier time.




TEXAS HOLD 'EM

For the adult exchange, we played TEXAS HOLD 'EM. I have never played this game, so I was a bit apprehensive; however, everyone promised to be helpful. The first couple to lose, would pick from the pile of gifts first. The second couple could then steal, or pick a different gift, and so on. Bryan was the first person out of the game, so I assumed we would be picking from the gifts rather quickly; however, through some miracle (and help)--I was lucky. I have never laughed so hard as Kendall, Roxanne, and I battled for the winning pick. I had a few lucky hands, and I was definitely in the lead; however, my lead quickly turned and I lost it all. I'm so glad I don't really gamble! But playing this game with my family was super fun!


My stack compared to Kendall's stack


Betting it all...and losing.

TEMPLE WORK

On Friday, we were able to go to the temple to do family names. It was such a sweet experience to be in the temple with my family. I am so grateful to my family for their willingness to take time to go to the temple. I know that it is through the temple ordinances that we are sealed together forever. I have no doubt that while in the temple, we are closer to Heaven than anywhere else. I can feel the love of my Savior as I enter, and I am so grateful to have been able to share those feelings with the people that matter the most. 



No comments: