Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Surgery #3 For Jake
Jake has had to have three surgeries all related to his ability to breath. His first surgery was a routine tonsil/adenoids surgery, his second was a sinus surgery, and finally this last one was to remove a cleft in his throat and widen his passage so that he can more easily breath. We hope and pray that our little boy's respiratory issues will soon be fading.

Preparing for Surgery
Just Before Surgery.
The doctor asked me to go in with him as they were administering the anesthetics. It was heartbreaking as I watched him panic as the face mask was placed around his mouth and nose. His eyes were pleading with me to help. My heart broke as I calmly explained that he was going to be okay, and that I would be there as soon as he was done. I told him I loved him. I told him to be brave. I told him that I knew he could do it. I then instructed him to breath the medicine deep into his lungs. He slowly calmed down, and starting breathing in the anesthetics. Within seconds, he was out, and they were ready to begin surgery. As I was leaving, the doctor said that she needed me to train her other parents on how to talk to their children before surgery. The thing is--I was able to remain calm in front of Jacob; however, I was a wreck as soon as I left his side. My husband wrapped me in his arms, and I let myself cry for a moment. My sweet little boy was scared, and I was a little bit too. I hoped and prayed that my words of assurance would be accurate. 

This picture was taken after Jacob had had a chance to calm down. When he first came out of surgery, he was extremely upset. I held him and cried as he cried. I did my best to hide my tears from him, but my husband could tell.

No comments: