Saturday, August 4, 2012

FEATHERVILLE with the JARVIS FAMILY
There is a moment in our drive to Featherville where the anticipation of our trip gets the better of us all. Just as we drop into the canyon where the lake is in view, our children inevitably ask, "Are we almost there?" For the past 6 years, Featherville has been our home away from home. This drive is not a new drive--it is a memorized drive. A drive that could be done (if at all safe) with our eyes closed. Still, no matter how many times we have driven the familiar route, the anticipation is real. Not only for my children, but for me as well. In my heart I am counting the minutes, looking at the clock, and inwardly asking "are we there yet?" Pulling into Featherville feels like coming home after a long trip. Every care or worry vanishes when we enter the serenity of the mountains. Our relationships deepen, our hearts are turned towards heaven, and we feel peace. For this trip, we were grateful we could share in the memories with good friends.

 
A tree fell in a storm. My children love exploring the huge roots, and the trunk. Here they are on top of the root base.
 

The roots of the tree.
 
We spent the afternoon swimming at the river. The older children would body float in the current while Jake spent most of his time playing on the side.
 
 
 
Body Floating
 
Rich Jarvis and Joseph Jarvis.
Body Floating.
 

When we finished playing at the river, we continued the fun at the culvert. This is Michael and Brooklyn Jarvis.

This last month (right after this trip), Featherville was threatened by a forest fire. We were told that it "was not if the fire hit, but when". My sweet little family was distraught. I found myself crying over our cabin, which caused me to question my priorities--was a worried too much about the things of the world? However, this wasn't just a cabin to me--it was much more. A thousand little memories of family gatherings have been woven into the framework of our cabin. Those memories have tied our hearts together as a family, and it was heartbreaking to think of losing our gathering place... For weeks, my sweet little family prayed for our cabin. My children prayed morning and night asking Heavenly Father to "please bless the cabin". Another week would pass, and we would anxiously await the inevitable; however, the inevitable hadn't happened, so we continued praying. One day a light rain passed through Boise. As soon as the rain began, my daughter, Hailey, hit her knees and began praying prayers of gratitude to her Father in Heaven for sending the rain. The faith of a child is an amazing thing. And although I knew that it hadn't rained in Featherville, I was touched by my daughter's faith, and I learned a lesson--I needed to pray with more faith. My prayers were prayers of hope; whereas, Hailey's prayers were prayers of complete trust and faith. She had no doubt that Heavenly Father would listen--she knew it. I believe that it was the faith of my children that saved our cabin. The winds miraculously changed directions, and the fire was no longer a threat. Our cabin is safe, and our memories will continue. I am so grateful to a loving Father in Heaven who cares enough about me and my children that He can take time for the "little" things.

No comments: