Thursday, September 3, 2009

Girl's Camp July 7-10
I had the opportunity of going to girl's camp this year, and although I missed my kids, I had a great time! Miracles happened at girl's camp to our little ward! I was so proud of our young women. They really went the extra mile. They were always willing to serve, and most importantly the reached beyond themselves, and looked to help one another! It was the best!
Our ward posing with our flag, and lighthouse. The lighthouse went along with the theme, "Anchor your Soul in Christ". The return to virtue flag is a symbol of our ward following Sister Dalton's admonition to bring us all to live more virtuous lives. Sister Dalton (the General YW's President) has admonished all young women across the world to RETURN TO VIRTUE. In her remarks she shared a story about her years as a youth when her leaders asked her to choose a symbol that could represent what she wanted to become. She chose a white rose, because the white rose grows more and more beautiful over time, and because white stands for purity. As a youth group, we are choosing our symbols for our lives...our goals...our aspirations...our individual motto's.
My symbol is a candle stick with a heart shaped candle holder with a yellow flame. My symbol symbolizes my desire to turn my heart to my Lord and Savior and to do His will (Hel. 3:35), and by so doing letting my light so shine (3 Nephi 12:16). It also reminds me of the parable of the ten virgins and their oil lamps. It reminds me to keep my "oil" full. Each color that I used also serves a purpose according to the young women colors. I chose the heart to be red, because it stands for the blood of Christ and it serves as a reminder that Jesus Christ loves me and died for me, and it also reminds me to turn my heart to Him as I seek Him. I chose the candle to be white, because it represents purity, and I want to always be pure. I chose the flame to be yellow, because it stands for good works, and I hope that my life will be full of good works as I strive to turn my heart to the Lord. I also used gold threading to represent virtue. This has been a great experience for the leaders as well as the youth!
We put on a skit for the young women depicting the parable of the ten virgins. The experience was amazing. The skit was set up in such a manner that the young women were able to participate as if they were waiting for the bridegroom. They visited ten stations. At each station there was a different virgin with a different story. Five virgins followed the Saviors teachings, and were ready for the "bridegroom". Five virgins represented our natural man tendencies that keep us away from our Savior and His love. As the girls reached the last virgin, the previous virgins gathered, and started exclaiming that the bridegroom was near. The five wise virgins continually admonished the young women to prepare, because the bridegroom was coming. In the midst of these proclamations, the five foolish virgins' oil lamps went out, and the five foolish virgins began panicking at their lack of oil. They begged the young women, and the other virgins for oil. I had the opportunity of playing the role of a wise virgin, and in this moment the skit truly came to life. I felt awful turning away women I loved, and being unable to share with them my oil (the oil being a representation of past good works, which truly is not something that can be shared). The foolish women cried, begged, and pleaded...at the last moment they left with great lamentations searching for a market in which they could buy more oil. Meanwhile the wise virgins entered the wedding. When the foolish virgins returned they were welcomed by a closed door. Each of the foolish virgins tried to enter, but the door was closed to them. One by one they begged and pleaded for entry promising to do better. One of my friends was playing the role of a foolish virgin, and the spirit was so strong as she literally cried at the closed door begging for entry. At the end of our evening the young women were offered as a gift to the Lord, and they were permitted to enter. The whole evening was amazing! I know the spirit was felt by the girls. As we returned to our camp fires, my young women bore testimony of the amazing event. Each of them felt the importance of keeping our lives clean and pure, so that we can someday enter into our Lord's Kingdom.

No comments: