Monday, July 4, 2011

FOURTH OF JULY; Idaho Falls 2011
 I love driving home. There is just something about my childhood experiences that brings a sense of nostalgia. I like to be left to my own thoughts as my eyes scan the horizon and behold miles and miles of open farm land, cows grazing in pastures, and the rolling hills.  As I drink in the landscape, years of childhood experiences brings a calm to my soul. Something about fishing with my dad, hiking the nearest hill, horseback riding on a cattle drive, and feeding the cows that simply brings a sense of peace. As I drive, I often find myself missing the farm...missing my childhood experiences. With that being said, after years of being away from the farm--I have definitely developed into a true blue city girl (as my dad calls me). No matter how much I love the farm, I do not miss the dust blowing in my face on a windy day, or the manure in the house from the men's shoes. No..., I do not miss the dirt and the grime that go hand in hand with farming, but I do miss the memories shared, the character developed, and the sense of belonging to something greater than myself. Farm life was not easy--nor was it clean, but somehow through the dirt and the grime children grew into hard working adults who knew what it meant to have fun simply by being together! If only I could give my children the same experiences I enjoyed as a youth...., which leaves me to conclude: I will always be a farm girl at heart!

Fourth of July is a difficult holiday for my family. Fifteen years ago my older brother passed away on the third of July. Ever since--there is somewhat of a struggle each and every Fourth of July. An internal struggle. A struggle only noticed by those of us in the family.... We still have fun, we still laugh, we still enjoy fireworks, fishing, and eating...but, somehow Eric's presence is missed more during the celebration of the Fourth of July than any other holiday. Perhaps it is because he died so close to the Fourth that a memory is sparked of so many years ago. The holiday is somehow a reminder of who we are missing, and he is missed all the more. With that being said, missing him also reminds us of our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness, and it serves as a reminder that we truly believe that we will see him again. And although we wish he were still with us, we are grateful to know that this life is not the end, which knowledge provides us with peace, and happiness. And so, with a memory of Eric intertwined with the knowledge of our Heavenly Father's plan, we celebrate!

OUR CELEBRATION OF THE FOURTH OF JULY:
 FIREWORKS





HORSEBACK RIDING




FISHING

No comments: